Living gluten free doesn’t mean you have to miss out on your favourite foods, including pizza!
Pizza typically comes loaded with cheese, and high sodium meats on a refined white flour base; a combination that may make you feel heavy and bloated. A new twist on a traditional favourite will leave you feeling light and guilt-free. This recipe uses polenta for the pizza base, and is creamy yet crisp due to the baking process. Perfect to use up your christmas leftovers like roast veggies, ham, or turkey.
The best part is you can customise each slice to suit your tastes. Get the family involved and let each person pile on the toppings of their choice. Then simply, bake, and enjoy!
Gluten Free Polenta Pizza
Serves 4 – 6; Prep Time; 15 mins (plus 2 hours refrigeration); Cooking time: 30 mins
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 cups salt reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray
Pizza Toppings (These are suggestions…customize to suit your tastes!)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- Italian herb mix
- Shredded chicken breast
- Baby Spinach
- Chopped capsicum (bell peppers)
- Mozzarella or dairy free cheese (e.g. daiya)
- Line two baking trays with baking paper and lightly grease with oil.
- Bring stock and herbs to a boil in a large pot.
- Once stock has boiled slowly rain in the polenta, making sure to whisk continually
- Keep whisking until polenta becomes thick, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and divide mixture between the two baking trays. Using a spatula, spread into a thin layer; this will ensure a thin crispy ‘crust’ when baked. Note: The mixture may not fill the entire baking pan, just spread out as evenly and thinly as possible in a rectangular shape.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let polenta set.
- Meanwhile prepare all your toppings.
- Remove polenta from fridge and preheat your oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Slide the polenta and baking paper out of the trays onto a flat surface. Cut into 8 equal squares. Using a spatula, place 4 squares on each baking tray. Lightly spray polenta with olive oil.
- Bake the squares in the oven for 12 – 15 minutes. The polenta should be firm and slightly crisp.
- Remove polenta squares from oven and gently flip each piece over.
- Spread each piece with pizza sauce and place on desired toppings.
- Return to oven and bake for a further 12 – 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and toppings are hot.
- Serve with a side salad or steamed vegetables
To download a printable version of the recipe, click below.
- What is your favourite ‘classic turned clean’ recipe?
- How do you use up your christmas leftovers?