Growing up I was obsessed with hostess mini muffins, especially the blueberry and banana nut flavours. I mean they tasted pretty good, but i think it was also the fact that they fit in my little hands, and I got a whole package of muffins instead of just one!
I’d like to think I’ve grown out of my mini muffin madness and my taste buds are more refined, but truth is I still love those cute sweet treats. I decided to recreate my childhood fav into a healthier grain free treat that I could enjoy when a craving hit. These mini muffins are free from gluten, wheat, dairy, soy, nuts, and refined sugar. They pair beautifully with a hot cup of herbal tea as an afternoon treat, or can be packed neatly into lunch boxes for healthy snacking.
Grain Free Cranberry Orange Mini Muffins
Prep Time: 20 mins Cooking Time: 25 mins
Makes 24 mini muffins
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp orange zest (from 1 – 2 large oranges)
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (355°F) and lightly grease a mini muffin tin with coconut oil or butter.
- Sift the dry ingredients together two times through a fine mesh sieve. This will ensure a light texture when baked. Transfer ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Place 3 egg whites into a stand mixer and beat until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile place egg yolks, orange zest, orange juice, pumpkin, maple syrup and vanilla into a small bowl. Gently mix to combine.
- Combine egg yolk mixture with dry ingredients and blend.
- Fold 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the batter. Once incorporated, transfer remaining egg whites and cranberries into batter and mix to combine. Do not over mix as this will knock the air from the beaten egg whites.
- Drop heaped teaspoons of batter into greased muffin tins. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 – 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and tops are golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Once cool, store in a sealed container for up to 1 week in the fridge. Muffins can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Click here for a printable download: Grain Free Cranberry Orange Mini Muffins
- What was one of your favourite childhood treats?
- Do you prefer mini sized or mega sized muffins?