If you give a mouse a cookie, he’s going to ask for a glass of milk…
except the mouse forgot to tell you that he’s vegan. So he’ll ask for a glass of almond milk instead.
When you give him his glass of almond milk, he’ll probably ask ‘Are these cookies made with butter or eggs?’
To which you can happily reply: ‘No mouse. These cookies are kind to all creatures great and small. Your cow friends will rejoice as they have no dairy, and your chicken friends will cluck with joy to know they have no eggs. Even your bee buddies will buzz with bliss as they have no honey.’
The mighty mouse devours his cookie and smiles with glee, then asks ‘May I please have the recipe?’
Everything Awesome Oatmeal Cookies
Everything awesome includes: oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit and dark chocolate
But nothing nasty like: refined white sugar or flour
They are also suitable for those with special dietary requirements!
These cookies are vegan, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and Low FODMAP.
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Makes 3 dozen cookies
- ¾ cup raw pecans
- ¼ cup raw walnuts
- ¾ cup natural almond meal
- ¾ cup gluten free flour (such as brown rice, buckwheat, or gluten free oat flour)
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1 tsp natural vanilla paste
- 3.5 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1.25 cups fruit free muesli with nuts & seeds (GF if necessary)
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- ½ cup dried fruit (such as raisins, or dried cranberries)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place walnuts and pecans on baking sheet and toast in preheated oven for 8 – 10 minutes, mixing once halfway through. Remove nuts and let cool.
- In a large bowl, sift together the almond meal, flour, coconut sugar, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- When nuts have cooled, place them in a food processor with the gluten free rolled oats. Process until finely ground, about 1 minute.
- Add nut/oat mixture to bowl with flour and mix thoroughly to combine.
- In another bowl or large measuring cup, mix together the wet ingredients. If coconut oil is solid, place in microwave for 20 – 30 seconds to melt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix to combine. Once combined fold in gluten free muesli, chocolate chips, and dried fruit.
- Cover dough with cling wrap and place in the fridge for 10 – 15 minutes to chill. While mixture is chilling, line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- When dough feels cool to touch, remove it from the fridge. With damp hands, roll about 1 tbsp of dough into a ball, and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Using your fingers, or the back of a spoon, lightly flatten each ball on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes in oven at 350°F (175°C). Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 2 – 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Cookies will keep in a sealed container in a cool dry place for one week, or frozen for up to 3 months. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
To download a printable version click here: Everything Awesome Oatmeal Cookies
The particular batch I made are wheat free but not 100% gluten free. I used a bag of the muesli I won in a competition, and the combination of nuts and seeds was sensational! I baked these cookies on saturday and by sunday evening they had all ‘magically disappeared’.
I think not.