Happy Monday my lovely readers! And what a motivating one it’s going to be. Can you believe it’s May already? Crazy I know! And with a new month brings a new challenge, are you excited???
This month we’re tackling inactivity head on by Moving More in May! One of my favourite bloggers, Janetha (who is also a fan of alliteration like me) set us a new challenge this month to increase our activity outside of our normal workouts. Increasing incidental exercise is not only a great way to break up the day, it also gets the blood flowing and can even burn a few extra calories.
A little more movement can do our bodies a whole lot of good. I for one spend most of the day sitting. As a student I’m either sitting at a lecture, or at my computer, and then sit on public transport and go back home. Yes I workout several times a week, but I do lack general movement throughout the day.
The great thing about this challenge is your moves can be anything great or small, so long as it’s outside of your official workout. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Wake up a little earlier and go for a walk before breakfast
- Get up from your desk throughout the day and do some stretches or chair squats
- Waiting for the kettle to boil? Knock out a set of push-ups in the kitchen
- Dust off your bike and ride to the gym
- Try some tricep dips during TV commercials
- Go outside and play with your kids! Try hopscotch, monkey bars, or the swings
Those are just a few ideas, but let your imagination be your guide and just try something new! By making it fun you are much more likely to stick to it. I’ve made it my challenge to do one small thing each day, whether it be yoga after dinner, a push-up challenge with my dad, or blasting some tunes while I clean the house. And I know you can do it too! So get up, get out, and move it!