Hey guys, how is your weekend going??? I spent yesterday successfully writing up notes for some of my subjects and also procrastinating like crazy by spending too much time on Pinterest. That website just sucks me in every time!!!
Today I’d like to take a little time to respond to the many generous awards I’ve received from fellow bloggers. I know I’m probably a little late getting back to everyone, but better late then never right? So a big thank you to the following blogs for my nomination (and if I missed you I’m sorry!!!):
madisoncary for the One lovely blog award
Building This Nest for the Versatile Blogger Award
Andrea Drugay for the Versatile Blogger AND Very Inspiring Blogger Award
and I’ve also been tagged by Cats London Marathon and will respond to her question below.
I am humbled and honoured! Now on to the second part: facts about me. From the number of awards listed above I think I need to list about 387 different facts about me, but that’s just not going to happen. So here are a few fun facts as well as my response to Cat’s question:
2. I like my food to be ridiculously hot! If it’s not steaming it’s not hot enough. I’m also that crazy person that boils the kettle, makes a hot drink, then sticks it in the microwave.
3. I don’t like cheese. Growing up I think I realised cheese didn’t agree with me that well so I just steered clear. I don’t miss it because well….I can’t quite remember what it tastes like!
4. I love Kitchen appliances!!! If I had room/could afford a dehydrator, vitamix, cuisinart, or kitchenaid I would have them. But for now my stick blender and mini food processor will suffice.
5. I still haven’t finished my chocolate easter bunny. I like chocolate, but just in small doses. Very small doses apparently.
6. Peter Alexander pyjamas own my heart. They are super cute and comfy. Maybe that’s why it’s so hard to get out of bed in the morning.
7. Lately I’m loving circuit training! I mix up my moves swapping between dumbbell/barbell exercises, the TRX, kettlebells, the fitball, and plyometric exercises. I just mastered the one leg stability ball hamstring curl. This exercise is amazing for your hamstrings and butt!
8. My favourite number is 15. Maybe it’s because I was born on the 15th. Second to that is number 8.
9. These fashion faux pas kind of bug me: socks and sandals, crocs (they are not shoes, I don’t care how comfortable they are!), and guys who wear skinny jeans but kind of way too low down.
10. I’d love to write a book one day. I’m not quite sure what about, but it’s gonna happen.
And now on to answering Cat’s question: I’m frequently lacking inspiration for healthy quick lunches, and often end up with a tin of mackerel (good oils and protein), some microwave Basmati (low GI carbs), and a bit of lettuce (fibre and water, and one of my ’5-a-day’). Can you help with a simple, tasty suggestion (that doesn’t include banana or avocado, as I’m allergic!).
I’m all about quick and healthy lunches which use up leftovers. Here’s one of my favourites that I pack and just quickly heat up in the microwave before eating.
Fiesta Fried Rice
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (remove seeds to reduce heat
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup reduced salt chicken stock
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked & chopped
- 1.25 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup iceburg lettuce, shredded
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, tomato, jalapeno and ground cumin. Saute for 5 – 10 mins, or until vegetables soften.
- Add chicken stock, cooked chicken, and brown rice to pan. Cover pan and let ingredients heat through for 5 mins.
- Turn off heat and mix through chopped coriander and lettuce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can customise it according to your preferences. Feel free to use a variety of different vegetables. Red capsicum or corn would be a great addition! I love taking the remainders for lunch the next day, and it’s just as good cold as reheated.
Now for the nominees! Instead of bestowing a particular award on other fellow bloggers I thought I’d just share a few of my favourite blogs with you. Go check them out and see what you think!
Fitness Loving Mom - Fab recipes, workout videos, and tons more health related articles
Abz ‘n’ Oats - Inspiring journey of a fitness lover and recently graduated RN!
The Camel Life – BreezyK is sarcastic, whitty, and always good for a laugh.
Peace Love Nutrition – If you Love yoga, travel, and food, you’ll love Jocelyn
Just Eat Love – met this lovely gal at my photography workshop. Go check out her great recipes (her blueberry and cucumber crumble is one of my favs!) and she has some great recipes!
Well thanks for listening to my rambles today, and thank you to all who nominated me for the awards. Wishing you all a fantastic finish to your weekend.